Thursday 13 January 2011

Mike Kelley – Test Room

I asked one of the invigilators what he thought.

John (Invigilator)

What do you think of the exhibition so far?
It’s brilliant, it’s very nice. 

Are you finding it hard to control people?
No it’s not. People have been very cooperative and understanding. Their behaviour is very good. 

Compared to other more traditional exhibitions, is this more enjoyable to invigilate?
Taste is personal. I respect everybody’s views. What they like is quite different. I’m professional so I shouldn’t judge. I just leave them to enjoy themselves.

While I was looking around the Test Room piece, John told me a little about it. He said that it was based on psychological tests that were carried out on monkeys during the 1950s and 60s. That explained the monkey suites that were there. After I felt the exhibition, I looked more thoroughly into the context of the piece and the history of the experiments. I found this very interesting and enjoyed the piece more for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment